The Bend-La Pine School District’s Central Oregon free summer lunch program provides daily meals available for kids up to 18 years old at no cost.
Summer presents lots of challenges for families in Central Oregon. There is the challenge of managing family vacations with work schedules, the daily relay of shuffling school-free children between day camps, and, of course, the battle against boredom once the novelty of summer wears thin. All challenges to be sure.
For some Central Oregon families, however, the strains of summer are a little more acute.
Families who have relied on school cafeterias to ensure children are getting enough food and healthy meal choices face a different sort of reality. For these families, summer can mean a struggle to have children’s basic nutritional needs met.
Thanks to the work of Bend school district employees, no child has to go hungry during the summer break. Once again this year, the district is offering kids up to age 18 a free meal.
Beginning in late June, the district will offer lunch meals at multiple locations in Bend as well as breakfasts at Elk Meadow. The district is also offering the program in La Pine with breakfast and lunch options available.
The program, which is funded through the United States Department of Agriculture, includes lunches of a hot entrée or sandwich, fruit, vegetable, low-fat milk and an occasional dessert. Parents are encouraged to attend and may purchase a meal for $4 or can bring their own lunch. Registration is not required.
A companion program is offered through the Redmond school district with breakfast and lunches available in Redmond and Terrebonne at Sam Johnson Park, the Redmond Boys and Girls Club, and the Terrebonne Community School. Below is the full list of hours and locations in Bend, La Pine and Redmond.
Bend area locations:
(Monday – Friday, June 26 to Aug. 18 unless otherwise noted; closed July 3-4)
- Boys & Girls Club – Bend-La Pine Schools Education Center, 520 NW Wall St.; 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; afternoon meal 3:45 to 4:30 p.m. (program runs through Aug. 25)
- Elk Meadow Elementary 60880 Brookswood Blvd., 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; breakfast 8:30 to 9 a.m. Monday to Thursday, July 31 to Aug. 17
- Ensworth Elementary School,2150 NE Daggett Lane, 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Harmon Park 1100 NW Harmon Road, 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Larkspur Park, 1700 SE Reed Market Road, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Pilot Butte Neighborhood Park 1310 NE Hwy 20, 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Sun Meadow Park 61150 Dayspring Drive, near R.E. Jewell Elementary School, 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
La Pine area locations:
- Finley Butte Park, 51390 Walling Lane (includes Lunch & Learn Reading Program) 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, June 26 to Aug. 4. (No meals served July 3-7.) This site will also offer a Lunch & Learn opportunity for students to earn free books and prizes while reading during the summer.
- TUESDAYS only: La Pine Community Center, 16405 First Street, noon to 12:45 p.m.; breakfast 7:30 to 8 a.m. June 27 to Aug. 22. (No meals served July 4.)
Redmond area locations:
- Sam Johnson Park: Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. ; Lunch: 11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Redmond Boys and Girls Club: Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.; Lunch: 11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Terrebonne Community School: Breakfast: 8:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. ; Lunch: 11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.